Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Give of what you've got, not of what is routine

I find it ironic that I have never felt like I needed a lesson on generosity, especially at Christmastime, but today as I was reading through the book of Acts, I came across some old familiar verses that are a part of a familiar story, and they came to me in a different light than when I heard them in the past. Growing up in church, I have become very familiar with the story of Peter healing the crippled beggar in chapter three of Acts, but what stands out today that I haven't really paid attention to before is this in verse six: "...silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you..." This is where my story ends here today.

My story begins a few years ago when I stopped carrying cash in my wallet. I did this because we used to go line dancing in downtown Nashville several nights each week. If you've been to downtown Nashville, you know that you can't walk twenty feet without someone begging for money, cigarettes, booze, food, or something. I grew weary of being asked for money, etc. after the first week and decided that rather than lie and say I don't have any money on me, I would just be sure I didn't carry any cash anymore and be able to tell the truth when I said that I don't have cash. It was uncomfortable at first telling people obviously in need that I didn't have the means to help them, but as my heart grew more callous, it was easy to transition to saying something like, "I'm sorry, but I don't have any cash on me, I wish I could help you!" I actually would say things like that so I sounded like I would have helped had I brought cash with me! My desire to manipulate the situation to prevent lying had progressed to, you guessed it, lying yet again. Through this I realized it wasn't the lying I wanted to prevent in the first place, but it was my lack of desire to give that I wanted to conceal. Therein lies the problem: I thought I didn't have anything to give because I didn't have the money to give, but did that mean I didn't have anything to give? Do I have a voice? Well, yes. Do I have time in a day? Yes, well, not those nights though...right? I had the need to line dance...wasn't that more important? Not so much...but wait, aren't those people there just scamming people or wanting money to buy alcohol or drugs? The real question is: does that matter? No and yes. No, because I'm called to give and the recipient is responsible for what the gift is used for. And yes as well, because some of them actually do scam people to get money for alcohol...so, what then do I give? I give the same thing Peter gave in verse six: whatever I have. Which brings us back to where my story ended. What do I have? Well, for starters (as of recently) I have a desire to give. I also have some money set aside to be used to help people who need help, but I should use that money wisely, so with that money I have time and a voice for conversation. So this is what I challenge myself with for starters: take time and spend it with someone in need, use the money to take care of what they need, what they are asking me for when I walk down the street, a meal, a cup of coffee, or something, and just spend time with that person. That takes care of a need without giving money away and not knowing what it is being used for. I'm giving what I have, the biggest of which is my time. I don't necessarily have to heal a crippled man to make a difference (although that would be pretty  much awesome to be a part of), I just have to offer myself to serve those who can't serve themselves. So not just because it is Christmastime, but because it is the right thing to do. Serve someone a big helping of whatever you have. If it is money, praise God! If it is not, praise God as well! Make a difference in this world, and whatever you have to give, give it, even if it is unconventional! Bless someone with your life, not just this season, but any chance you get!

No comments: